01-4233614, 6200824 (kathamandu)
061-528783, 528814 (Pokhara)
Approved by Ministry of Education Nepal

Study in Australia

Australia, a land of dream & opportunities, a magnificently beautiful place with many different climates and cultures welcomes all the international students to pursue their quest for education. Australia will put you in the roller coaster ride of amazing & wonderful experiences. Australia is one of the most popular study destinations in the world for international students.

During the past half century, Australia has welcomed more than 2.5 million students to study in Australia. Many remain actively engaged with Australia through personal friendships and professional connections. A strong, high-quality education and research system is fundamental to maintaining Australia’s international reputation as one of the world’s leading providers of education services to international students. The friendly laid-back nature, high living-standards and the excellent education in Australia have made it a hot-spot for international students.

Australia can help you grow, and not just academically, but culturally as well. Career, new cultures and adventure, Australia presents a plethora of opportunities for an incomparable educational experience. Study in Australia for value that lasts a lifetime.

  • Australia is the 6th largest country in the world in terms of land area.
  • In the 2017 QS World University Rankings, 13 per cent of Australia’s universities were ranked in the Top 50 and 67 per cent in the Top 500 in the world.
  • Australian researchers are developing ground-breaking technologies to improve the lives of people across the world.
  • Australia’s industry led vocational education and training (VET) system is held as a benchmark around the world as a model of good practice.
  • Australian graduates, including international graduates, are highly sought after by international employers.
  • Australia is internationally regarded as having one of the most advanced and innovative education and training systems in the world. It has been teaching international students for over 60 years and attracts approximately 500,000 students from around 200 countries each year.

Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,100 institutions and 22,000 courses to choose from. The Australian education system provides primary, secondary and tertiary education as is distinguished from many other countries by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF is a national policy that shows how qualifications relate to each other at each level of education. International students can study at all levels of education from primary and secondary school, to vocational education and training (VET), from English language courses to higher education (including universities). The term ‘tertiary education’ in Australia refers to higher education (universities) and vocational education and training (VET and TAFE colleges). Higher education – Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA)and VET – Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) are organizations for higher education and VET institutions. These organizations are responsible for registration/re-registration of institutions and accreditation/re-accreditation of courses.

Regardless of what you are studying for or how long you are studying, Australia’s laws promote quality education and protection for international students. This includes the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007 (National Code). These provide nationally consistent standards for providers of education and training for international students.

The Australian Qualifications Framework is the Australian national policy for the recognized qualification. This is to say that if the university you’re attending a University which is in accordance with this qualification system then your degree is valuable and authorized.

Vocational and Technical Schools

Vocational and Technical schools prepare students that want to skip the university and want to move directly to the job market. Actually, here it stands the difference between universities and colleges: the Vocational and Technical Schools are more oriented in teaching practical skills while university courses are mainly theory-based to lead students to different academic careers.

There are hundreds of other schools out there that provide technical and further education (TAFE) and vocational education and training (VET). These schools offer short courses, certificates I through IV, diplomas, and advanced diplomas. They focus on training their students in a particular vocation or just to help their students get out into the workplace.  These schools offer a wide variety of courses and qualifications attained by these courses can lead to different career pathways to follow afterward. These include, but are not limited to.

These types of schools can award its students with one of the following qualifications:

Certificate I to IV: These courses last usually six months to a maximum two years. They’re meant to teach students the foundation skills in industry issues, communication, literacy and numeracy.

Diploma: It takes one to two years to take such qualification. The course is focused on preparing students to work in enterprises, industry etc.

Advanced diploma:  These courses take 1.5 to 2 years of full-time study. It teaches students practical skills that will be useful in their future work areas such as Engineering, accounting etc.

Vocational graduate certificate/diploma:  The graduate certificate takes usually six months to a year of full-time study while a diploma takes two years of full-time study.  The course is meant to teach students specific work-related skills.

English language courses: Since English is an important detail to excel in education and in the job market; Vocational schools offer also a range of courses in the English language.

There are also a number of smaller schools that you can find, which are not accredited, that will give you the same quality of vocational and/or technical education for a lower price; you just have to do your research to see if you can find one that suits your needs.

Universities and Higher Education

Australian higher education modernity and reputation relies on a huge number of educational providers including universities and different training organizations. Currently, there are 43 universities across the country. The vast majority of universities are public except two private universities. Two Australians are branches of universities that are located overseas. The world-class teaching offered is surely undisputed. Seven Australian universities are traditionally found at the top 100 best universities in the world which is a sufficient indicator to highlight their quality.

Besides universities, more than 5,000 training organizations are registered and accredited. Actual figures show that the number of enrolled students is around 3.8 million with international students sharing more than half a million. There are also 3 self-accrediting higher education institutions. Furthermore, dozens of smaller schools that do not grant any degrees or have an accreditation – these are private schools that focus on theology, business, information technology, natural therapies, hospitality, health, law, and accounting.

Popular courses

So every prospect student finds his favorite study fields, universities offer a variety of courses. English courses are very common in particular. Presently, more than 120 English courses are available in Australian higher education. Below are just of the most popular study courses in Australia:

  • Administration Courses
  • Accounting Courses
  • Agriculture Courses
  • Architecture Courses
  • Building Courses
  • Environmental Studies Courses
  • Computer Sciences Courses
  • Engineering Courses
  • Health Sciences Courses
  • Finance Courses
  • Humanities Courses
  • Law Courses
  • Journalism Courses
  • Psychology Courses

  • Global recognition & World ranking institutions.
  • Culturally diverse
  • Strong in global research
  • Excellence & innovative education
  • Globally recognized qualification
  • Easy visa processing
  • Affordable education & living expenses
  • Quality assurances & research opportunities
  • Scholarships & grants
  • Job/ internship opportunities

No matter where you are studying, you will have to make sure that you secure a student visa in order to study in the country. Australia is no different. Even though their immigration program is much more lenient than countries like the United States and the United Kingdom, there are still a number of processes that you must go through in order to study in Australia for any period of time.

Student Visa Options:
If you are applying for a student visa in Australia, there are six different types of visas for you to choose from if you are going for tertiary education (there are three more available for primary and secondary school students).

  1. English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) Visa. If you are planning on taking English courses that will not result in a degree, this is the visa that you need to apply for. You will also apply for this visa if you are taking English courses that lead to a certificate I through IV (as explained in our section on undergraduate education).
  2. Vocational Education and Training (VET) Visa. If you are not coming to Australia in order to take intensive English Language Course (like through ELICOS), but you are earning a vocational degree of some sort, then you will need to obtain a VET visa. VET visas are for those obtaining Certificates I, II, III, IV and those who are obtaining vocational diplomas, vocational advanced diplomas, vocational graduate certificates, or vocational graduate diplomas.
  3. Higher Education Visa. If you are earning any type of degree in an academic field, (anywhere from academic levels 5 to 9 according to the Australian Qualifications Framework), then you will apply for a higher education degree. This is not the visa to apply for if you are pursuing a Master’s research degree.
  4. Postgraduate Research Visa. If you are earning a Master’s research degree or a doctoral degree of any type, then you must apply for one of these visas. Your university will help you determine if your Master’s is by coursework or by research

Many international students studying abroad in Australia will want to work during their time spent studying in the country. For these students, it is important to be aware of the rules that regulate them under their student visa when it comes to work.

Work Rules for International Students

International students in Australia on a valid student visa can work for up to 40 hours fortnight part time basis while school is in session, and there is no limit on the number of hours an international student can work during recognized school vacations. A work week in Australia is considered to be Monday through the following Sunday. Although they are allowed to arrive in Australia up to 90 days before their course begins, students are not allowed to begin working until after their courses have begun.

The 40 hours fortnight limit does not extend to any work the student is required to undertake as a component of his or her studies or training. Volunteer and unpaid work, however, does count towards the 20 hours. If an international student works more than the Australian restrictions allow, his or her visa may be cancelled.

Work Rules for Family Members of International Students

Family members (spouses and children) accompanying the international student under their student visa have the same work rights as the student – 20 hours per week. Unlike the students, family members may not exceed 20 hours per week, even during holidays. For those students obtaining a graduate degree, like a master’s degree, their family can work unlimited hours. Like students, family members are allowed to work until after the student has started his or her course.

Further Rules and Regulations

Other rules and restrictions under Australian student visas include:

  • Students are required to pursue a consistent study program that has been approved by the Australian government.
  • Students have to fulfill all of the requirements of the study program in which they are enrolled.
  • Students must maintain satisfactory attendance in their course and course progress for each study period as required by their school.
  • Students are required to maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Working during your stay in Australia is a great way for international students to supplement their finances. However, it is extremely important to be aware of the restrictions placed upon you as an international student. If you violate any of these restrictions, your student visa may be revoked and you could be deported out of Australia

Australia has special health insurance coverage for international students called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC is insurance designed to help international students cover the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. Because of these requirements, it is important that international students purchase their Australian international student health insurance prior to departing their home country.

Which insurers offer OSHC?

Currently, there are 5 insurers that offer OSHC which can be purchased through your academic institution or directly on your own:

  • Australian Health Management
  • BUPA Australia
  • Medibank Private
  • Allianz Global Assistance (subcontracted by Lysaght People care)
  • nib OSHC

What does OSHC cover?

The OSHC plan is designed to provide coverage for international students seeking treatment at a doctor’s office, hospital, or for limited prescription drugs. Coverage will vary based on the plan you purchase so it’s important to contact each OSHC provider to ensure that you get the coverage you need.

You will want to ask about waiting periods, exclusions, and other limitations on the plan. The OSHC insurance plan will not cover any treatment arranged in advance of arrival to Australia, treatment to and from Australia, as well as transportation into or out of Australia. OSHC does not typically cover dental, optical or physiotherapy either.

Designed & Developed by Mega Web Link